China Human Rights Net > News > Focus > Stories of CPC Members > Heros from Everyday Life

Zhang Side

From : PLA Daily

A portrait of Zhang Side

    Zhang Side was born in a poor tenant-peasant family of Hanjiawan, Liuhechang, Yilong County, Sichuan Province on April 19(the sixth day of third lunar month), 1915. Before he was one year old, his mother died. He was brought up by his aunt. When he was 12 years old, he began to feed the cattle and mow grasses for the landlord. In September 1933, the Red Army came to his hometown and established the revolutionary regime. He actively joined the Young Pioneers of China and was elected a team leader. He was conscientious in assisting the Red Army and militia to stand guard and search bad person. He joined the Red Army in December 1933 and before long the Communist Youth league of China. In October 1937, he joined the Communist Party of China (CPC). In a fighting against the six-side siege, his legs were injured twice but he still rushed into the enemy' position to capture two machine guns. In June 1935, the 4th Front Red Army joined force with the Central Red Army in Maogong of Sichuan and continued to march north. During the Long March, he had crossed the snow mountains and grasslands two times.

    After he arrived in the North Shanxi, he was nominated as the leader of Communication squad of the Guard Battalion of the Central Military Commission. In several years' work, he worked hard and perfectly fulfilled his duties.

    In the early summer of 1940, the Kuomintang's diehards carried out the military "encirclements" and economic blockade in the border areas. To resolve the heating problem of the central organs in winter, he led his squad to burn charcoals in Tuhuanggou north to Yan'an. After three-month hard work, he successfully delivered 40-ton charcoals to Yan'an.

    In 1941, the War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression came into the hardest period. In order to get over the economic difficulty of enemy's blockade, he opened up wasteland in Nanniwan along with the guard battalion. He led the squad to overcome many difficulties in life and complete production tasks given by the superior. Meanwhile, he also shouldered the communication work as usual, working hard at day and sending message on foot at night regardless of fatigue for the sake of fulfilling the task of communication

    In the winter of 1942, he retuned to Yanan from Nanniwan. Latter a leader transferred him, head of a squad, to another squad as a common serviceman due to the change of staffing of the troops. But he subjected to the needs of revolution without any complaint and thought of individual success and failure. In early summer of 1943, he was transferred to Zaoyuan Internal Guard Squad and worked as a guard for Chairman Mao.

    In 1944, the Party organization assigned him to burn charcoal in Ansai County. On September 5, when he was working in the kiln, the kiln collapsed all of a sudden, and then he sacrificed his young life.

    On the afternoon of September 8, 1944, the organs directly under the CPC Central Committee held a grand funeral ceremony, at which Chairman Mao Zedong inscribed the elegiac words of "salute to Comrade Zhang Side who sacrifices his life for the benefit of people" and attended the funeral ceremony in person. At the ceremony, Mao Zedong made the important speech of Serve the People , highly praising his lofty morality of serving the people wholeheartedly that he "died for the benefit of people, and his death is indeed heavier than Mount Tai".