August 28, 2017 -- Since March 2015, the UN Human Rights Office has documented 13,829 civilian casualties in Yemen, including 5,110 killed and 8,719 injured, a spokesperson said on Friday.
The spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Liz Throssell told a press briefing here on Friday that these numbers are based on the casualties individually verified by its Yemen Office, and the overall number is "probably much higher".
According to the UN official, in the week from Aug. 17 to 24, 58 civilians have been killed in the war-torn country, including 42 by the Saudi-led Coalition.
"Our Office in Yemen has been gathering more information about an airstrike by Coalition Forces that hit a hotel in Sana'a Governorate on Wednesday 23 August," she told, saying that so far they have confirmed that 33 civilians were killed and another 25 injured in the attack.
Also on Aug. 23, she said, an airstrike by Coalition Forces hit a house in Raimat Hameed village, in Sanhan district, which is also in Sana'a Governorate, killing six civilians and injuring another 13.
In all these cases, the UN official stressed, witnesses said that there had been no warnings that an attack was imminent.
"We remind all parties to the conflict, including the Coalition, of their duty to ensure full respect for international humanitarian law. We call on the relevant authorities to carry out credible, comprehensive and impartial investigations into this incident," she noted.
At least 5,110 civilians killed in Yemen during past two and half years of conflict: UN
August 28,2017 By:Xinhua