Home > NEWS > WORLD >

UN condemns deadly attack against peacekeepers in CAR
July 25,2017   By:Xinhua

July 25, 2017 -- The United Nations Security Council condemned on Monday the attack against a peacekeeping convoy in the Central African Republic (CAR), which killed one Moroccan peacekeeper and injured three others earlier in the day.

The 15-member body condemned the attack "in the strongest terms", and noted in a statement that "attacks against peacekeepers may constitute war crimes", calling on the government of the Central African Republic to swiftly investigate this attack and bring the perpetrators to justice.

The UN mission to Central African Republic (MINUSCA) military convoy was targeted by anti-Balaka militiamen on Sunday in Bangassou, southeast of the country.

The attack took place while the Moroccan peacekeepers were escorting water tankers to a river to help resupply the village, local reports said.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres also condemned the deadly attack, offering his condolences to the bereaved family and Morocco and wishing a speedy recovery to those who were injured.

"The Secretary-General is appalled by attacks against United Nations peacekeepers and urges the Central African authorities to investigate this incident and bring the perpetrators to justice," his spokesperson Farhan Haq said in a statement.

Guterres is "deeply concerned" about the continued fighting in the southeast of the Central African Republic and calls on all parties to cease violence, the statement added.